Tuesday, October 30, 2007

James and the 2x4

Well what in the world am i going to talk about now??? Let me tell you. I am in a class in school studying the book of James. The other day we were in chapter three and I'm' telling you what reading through, and really taking what it says to the table for in depth study hurts. (it hurts me anyway) 3:1 Not many of you should presume to be teachers because you know we who teach will be judged more strictly. that v. along perks my ears up because I teach. I usually didn't put much thought into that but if you read on in v.3,4,5 James goes on to describe controlling a large animal by inserting a small bit into its mouth. and steering a large ship by a small rudder. and how a small spark can turn into a devastating inferno causing massive destruction. I knew where this was going because I had read James before and as some of you know, because I have shared with you that I struggle with my language. I kinda fall in line with v.9&10 and if you read on into v.11 it talks of how both salt and fresh water cannot flow from the same spring, a fig tree being unable to produce olives. this got me wondering if this applied to me and my ability to worship God. Can I truly sing to the Lord with the same tongue that i curse Him with? I don't think i curse Him directly but if i am cursing another brother i get from this reading that i am cursing Him. Backing up to ch.1 v.26 if any one considers himself religeous and yet does not keep a tight reigh on his tongue his religion is worthless. is my religion worthless? well after receiving these direct blows to the head from James' 2x4 i had a lot to think about so i thought i would post for yall to think about w/me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please post any conclusions you come up with about this topic!! And, while you're at it, could you maybe shed some light on Rev.3:16? I know that I am not always on fire as I should be (due to struggles with the 3-ring circus of my own life) and am so afraid of settling into a "lukewarm" faith & life. I do believe God knows our hearts and that it's the enemy who wants us to question the strength of our religion/faith, but it can still weigh on the heart & soul of a believer who is too well aware of his fallen nature. Thanks for your posts!!

Jennifer said...

I love your insight on these scriptures. James has always been one of my favorite books. So much of what is expected of us as believers is extremely tough to swallow. I think one of the reasons that God BECAME LIKE US (as Jesus, in human form) is so we could BECOME LIKE HIM by following Jesus's perfect example. And although, obviously none of us will ever be perfect, (His example of perfection is definitely a tall order), I do believe the Bible makes it clear that we are still commanded, as believers, to STRIVE for this. In 2 Corinthians, Paul tells them to "aim for perfection."

It's awesome that you are taking every word you read to heart. That's exactly what God wants from his children. Teachable people make the greatest teachers!

Wow, I just read the comment above mine, about being lukewarm. And I have to admit that that particular scripture convicts me from time to time. Just knowing that many people who call themselves Christians, myself included, wade around, at times, in the dangerous waters of "being lukewarm" should be very alarming!

All that being said- no one said the Christian walk would be easy, only that we would have the power of Christ to overcome! Hey, I think I may make a post on this topic (Rev. 3:16) on my blog :)

Rebecca Jo said...

HMMM - good thinking stuff there!